The concentration in Business Analytics allows students admitted to the MSITM program who are interested in advancing their understanding of Analytics and its application in the business environment focus on this area while obtaining a full Master of Science degree. This online program is designed to provide you with state-of-the-art knowledge and skills in Business Analytics. Upon completion of this program you will be prepared for the challenges of developing and managing an information system within an organization as well as analyzing large amounts of data to identify how it can be used to greater enhance and benefit the organization.
What is Business Analytics?
Business Analytics encompasses the knowledge, skills and tools which enable information to be collected, managed, used and shared to support the delivery of all aspects of business operations.
Why a Concentration in Business Analytics from UNCG?
Business Analytics is one of the fastest growing segments of Information Technology globally. In the 2014 IT Industry Forecast, 60% of 900 IT executives surveyed stated that they intend to increase yearly salaries for business intelligence and big data handling.
Executives also listed Business Analytics as their number one concern and expect it to play a major role in daily business operations.
A partnership with SAS including resources for instruction and hands on projects with SAS software offers students the opportunity to work with leading industry software while learning key concepts. Students will also have access to SAS products and materials through Teradata University Network.
Basic Business Knowledge
An additional six credit hours of undergraduate business study may be required of any students who have not completed equivalent coursework in their undergraduate work. All basic business knowledge courses may be waived by students who have completed equivalent academic course work and who can meet specific learning objectives. Applicants should consult with the ISSCM Graduate Program Director or Associate Director for course waiver information. The required courses are:
- ACC 201 – Financial Accounting (3 credit hours)
- SCM 302 – Operations Management (3 credit hours)
Core Level Courses (12 credit hours)
- ISM 671 – Data Management
- ISM 674 – Systems Analysis and Design
- ISM 677 – Information Systems Management
- ISM 678 – Project Management
Business Analytics Focus – Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- ISM 672 – Web Programming
- ISM 675 – Models and Methods in Business Analytics
- ISM 685 – Business Analytics for Competitive Advantage
Thesis and Non-Thesis Option (9 credit hours)
- ISM 699 – Thesis (6 hours)
- Elective* – 1 course (3 hours)
– or –
- ISM 688 – Projects in Business Analytics (Capstone Project)
- Electives** – 2 courses (6 hours)
Electives can come from the following graduate level courses or other approved courses in consultation with the ISSCM Graduate Program Director:
- ISM 673 – Telecommunications and Distributed Networks
- ISM 676 – Information Systems and Security
- ISM 696 – Organizational Internship (1 to 3 hours)
- STA 671 – Advanced Statistics in the Behavioral and Biological Sciences
- ELC 665 – Approaches to Qualitative Inquiry
- ECO 653 – Econometric Methods
MBA electives are Face-to-Face courses and must be taken on campus:
- MBA 701 – Quantitative Analysis for Decision Making
- MBA 702 – Financial and Managerial Accounting
- MBA 703 – Economic Policies and Impact on Global Outcomes
- MBA 706 – Marketing Management
- Official transcript confirming a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- GMAT or GRE score taken within the last 5 years
- TOEFL scores, taken within last 2 years (for international applicants)
- Statement of purpose highlighting career and educational goals
- Three letters of recommendation
- Completed Graduate School application and $65 application fee
- Fall: July 1 | Spring: November 1 | Summer: April 1 (limited)
- International Students – Fall: May 15 | Spring: September 15 | Summer: February 15 (limited)
Tuition and Fees
For information on tuition and fees, go to the UNCG Online website. Be sure to scroll down for information on in-state, out-of-state, and military tuition rates. Please note: online students will not be assessed an orientation fee. However, the Bryan School assess a differential tuition fee for its graduate programs. The differential tuition averages $200 per credit hour.
479 Bryan Building