Imagine taking classes in the United Kingdom, Germany, or China. Experiencing academic courses through the prism of another culture provides you with a rare opportunity to gain new perspectives about teaching and learning. Most Bryan students can study abroad at some point during their time at UNCG, but some programs have stricter eligibility requirements than others. Making your study abroad decision is just as involved as choosing a major or minor, so setting goals and planning ahead is a key to a successful study abroad experience.
It is never too early to begin planning. We suggest starting to plan about one year before you go. Here’s how:
- Set some goals: There are many excellent study abroad programs to choose from, figure out which program best fits those goals.
- Prioritize your goals: Consider your long-term academic and professional goals as well as your degree requirements.
- Prepare academically: You may need to take language or prerequisite classes for your program. Speak with your advisor about these requirements, and how to schedule your classes to get them done.
- Consider short-term and long-term options: There is a study abroad option out there for you. Keep in mind that there are short-term and long-term opportunities for students.
Choosing your study abroad program will be a fun and exciting time in your academic career. Be sure to give yourself time to research, talk to advisors and reach out to study abroad alumni for advice
Why study Abroad?
- Learn about business from a new and unique perspective.
- Make your resume stand out to future employers.
- Broaden your academic and personal horizons by going on an adventure you cannot get at home.
- Improve your language skills, and enhance your understanding of coursework upon returning to UNCG.
- Pay UNCG tuition and explore the opportunity to use your financial aid award, which keeps costs down.
To learn more, schedule an appointment to talk with a Study Abroad Advisor by calling the IPC Office at (336) 334-5404 or by visiting 207 Foust. Their receptionist will work with you to schedule an “Options” appointment, where you will learn the basics about international program opportunities.
Steps for Bryan School Students
- Communicate Interest: Complete our online interest and we will be in touch about ways in which to get the process started.
- Research Your Options: Learn about our partner institutions by reviewing program information on the International Program Center’s site at studyabroad.uncg.edu. Consider where you want to be geographically. Talk with study abroad alumni about their experiences. Investigate cultural resources to learn more about countries and cities abroad.
- Meet with Bryan Undergraduate Student Services: Once you have narrowed down your study abroad options and goals, schedule an appointment to meet with your assigned Bryan school academic advisor on Starfish through Canvas, to discuss how this fits into your academic plan.
- Study Abroad application: Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to apply. Please use this link and follow the instructions from IPC for the application process.
- Complete the Study Abroad Interview: This is your opportunity to impress the Study Abroad Committee members who will be your advocates to our overseas partners. This is not a formal interview, but you should be prepared to talk about your academics, interests, and goals for studying abroad.
- Participate in Mandatory Orientations: Orientation workshops required by both the International Programs Center and the Bryan School of Business and Economics will provide detailed information that you must know before you go abroad.
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
Fill out our interest form and we will be in touch to discuss your future study abroad plans.