If you have an interest in fashion, the Department of Consumer, Apparel, and Retail Studies (CARS) offers the best preparation for becoming what we see in you: a work-ready professional with all of the experience, knowledge, and networking you need to build a successful career. Our programs will help you become an exceptional problem solver for the apparel industry, confident and ready to make meaningful connections where you work, live and lead.
Through excellence in teaching, scholarship, and community engagement, the Consumer, Apparel, and Retail Studies Department prepares and advances leaders in our field. We provide a strong educational foundation through an innovative curriculum, integrating theory with hands-on experience and/or research within the community, with the flexibility for students to pursue their individual career interests related to the global apparel industry.
Why students choose our program over others
- Close connections with industry leaders keep our curriculum innovative and relevant.
- Our student-centered learning environment features supportive faculty who will challenge and mentor you along your journey.
- Internships from North Carolina to New York and beyond allow you to work for the brands that inspire you such as Polo Ralph Lauren, Saks, Inc., Belk Stores, JC Penney, and VF Corporation (The North Face, Wrangler, Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica).
- We offer the full span of the apparel/fashion supply chain along with a focus on global fashion careers in design and retailing.
- Our students have a high rate of placement in the field — many even before graduation.